Monday, May 12, 2008

ALMOST GOT IT!

I had my first and last Ontario cup Mountain bike race yesterday. I was feeling Ready and pumped to ride hard. I was no longer in 15-16 I was now 17-19, instead of 2 small laps I was doing 3 big laps (The big laps are longer, way more technical, and have bigger climbs).

I got to the start line at 11:15 for a 11:30 start. I was very nerves going into this race, I looked around to size every one up. As we started all I could think about was how bad this first climb was going to hurt. I rode hard to stay in front of the race but a kid in green just hammer. I worked hard to keep on his wheel and as we went on are first flat section I put in a devastating surge to drop as many people as I could (video shows right where I went for it). As I hit the last lap I was lapping other people in my race. I thought this race was raped up for me but I was wrong, I'm not used to riding that long on a mountain bike. I started to hurt and when your tired in mountain biking you get stupid. You start to fall a lot and make dumb mistakes that cost you seconds and seconds add up. I went into the last monster climb of the race I hurt so bad I thought my head was going to pop off. I was working so hard that my heart rate was at 200 I was now over heating. As I thought I couldn't go any faster two guys from my race go flying right past me. At this point I had given every thing I had and it put me in 3rd.

I am very happy with a top 3 finish. I don't mountain bike as much as I used to and I still can ride with the best of the sport! I was also in my first race where you are doing 3 big laps. I am very happy with my fitness right now, I am 3 times faster on a bike then I was last year!

Start of the race ^

My surge I talked about ^

Going into the last lap and lapping people.